Saturday, May 9, 2015

#LoveMe Challenge Day 15

Day 15:
Something You Have Done Right

Al-Anon
Something I have done right, huh?
While my Qualifier was away at Rehab, my life appeared to me in shambles, in the utter depths of depression, one of the councilors during a phone meeting asked if I had started to attend Al-anon yet. 
"No, I've never heard of that, plus I'm already seeing a shrink,
I don't know if I can afford yet another program (heavy sarcasm)."
I didn't want to shower, so I didn't. 
I didn't want to go 45 minutes across town, but I did.
It was one of the few things I will give myself credit for doing right, begrudgingly but right.


This Looks Familiar
Isn't it funny how a comic strip from the 60's & 70's can still relate to us today?
I found a whole slew of them while searching the Inter-Web, and I was surprised how many of them I had done myself. This isn't our grandparents "disease"ya know. It is very current and I, as so many others, behaved toward it in the same way regardless of the times.


This Looks Familiar Too
Only a year plus in the program and my life is starting to feel a little more like this. 
If someone were to ask me point blank how has your life really changed, I'd probably reply that I'm not sure. But when I read my literature or come across aged comic strips I can say, hey that kinda is what I would do. Hindsight always being 20/20 n' such.
Now I'm currently fortunate that my Qualifier is also a year plus sober but I know this program is one day at a time and that this disease is cunning and baffling. That his condition is teetering on a precipice of sorts but it is no longer my responsibility to be sure it doesn't tip. 

So, yep, stepping through the doors of Al-anon was definitely
the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment